10 March 2001

Something Inbetween, I guess

My head is as messy as this desk on Fridays and sometimes Mondays. This is what I think about your justice. Intrigued. Skeptical. Disdain. Hope.

I have a lingering feeling that you relied on my politics. You thought that on some level you knew me, or something about me and I believe you’re mystified at how wrong you were. Politics, after all, are simply the ideology that supports the infrastructure. No different than religion, philosophy or machinery - a grand rationalization and a tool.

What’s in my head is one thing. There is a logic that rests on thinking and puzzling through a problem. The logic of my skin works its way around my tongue in circles and whispers and this is what I speak. When it starts to feel right, the words surface into air and gives rise to the wind beneath birds. Everything carries something. The weight is never so great or so insignificant as to not leave some space between.

Sometimes you can feel the closeness, the tightness, the perfect fit of the space, the weight and the foundation. The foundation, this too is a grand illusion. Is it the bottom of the ocean, the peak of a mountain, the someplace in between? Is it a rock or some collection of smaller things? If you’ve ever been in an earthquake you know that the ground beneath you is a myth. There’s no such thing as surefooted. Everything, yes everything, is subject to change. Sometimes, to realize this, your very world must be shaken up - hard. It looks like freedom but it feels like death. It’s something in between, I guess.

There are strange blessings in all that happens - learnings, teachings, doorways and windows. Your doorways are different than mine. You’ve come to this moment for different reasons and lessons than I have. But we did choose to come to this moment together. Nothing is an accident. When it comes to what we each believe in, it’s very clear to me that it’s all rhetoric to you and it’s all very real to me. We’re about to make it all real for everyone. How it all shakes out is going to be a revelation to one of us.

No comments: