04 July 2006

Constant Stranger

From the garden gate the other day...

I used to always carry a notebook and pen that felt food for writing with me. With the advent of computers and other time-saving tools, I just never find myself relaxing with my notebooks the ways I did before all this technology became available to make our lives easier. I'm not so sure I want my life to be easier.

Sometimes when she's not around, I steal pencils from my neighbor's house. Sometimes I feel bad about this and when she's not there, I put them back.

I'm reading the Jeremy Taylor interview and the interviewer asked about archetypes. Taylor explains the universal meaning of say up (goodness, light, enlightenment) and down (evil, darkness, ignorance, etc.) You see, that archetype doesn't hold so true for me. I'm for of an in and out kind of girl. And perhaps in a true ying/yang thang, I'm really not sure if there is more enlightenment, goodness, evil or ignorance in or out.

He provided another example of archetype being the image of blood - which is related to family, he says, and obligations of relationship. I remember a recurring dream. There were holes in my wrists and instead of blood, my veins and arms were filled with sand and shells. My feet were on fire with pain. There were roses growing into them, out of them - in, out - like I said, it's really ultimately difficult to understand the difference between these things. The stem grew out of my foot, the bud and flower blossomed inside. So in place of blood, I have crushed stones, fossils and rose petals. So what does that say about my relationship to my relatives - living and ancestors?

3 comments:

titration said...

As one of those relatives I would like to place bets on a meaning of some kind of tie between bloodline and growth. eg. my relation with you is more about new flowers growing in me, us, because of my friendship with you... Of course it could just mean you love the beach? :)

Zuzu said...

Heh.. I lay odds on the beach. According to the dream, all you get are the thorns and stems and all the flowers blossom in me (which, in the dream, was actually very, very painful.) And thank you - kind comment! - Zuzu

titration said...

Alright then, since it's your dream the beach it is! :) Hope all is well that's growing in you these days. (O, the multiple meanings of that line.) :)