19 October 2005

No. It was NOT a Dream.

Secret’s ears perked alert and she began barking. There was a man standing at the gate, half cast in the rosy glow of light from the street lamp above. He was just standing there at the gate. Lit from behind and above, his face was dark and he looked rather sinister with swirls of black iron gate in front of him like some monstrous criminal from a bad thriller.

I opened the door and she rushed the gate, baring her teeth and barking. He backed away and a voice came from the carport.

“There’s a big white bunny,” it said.

“What?” I replied as I called the Honey Bee back to me.

“In your yard, there’s a big white bunny….. there,” he said, pointing.

Sure enough, not a few feet from me there was a big white bunny standing easily over a foot tall not considering the length of its ears.

I broke her trust as I called her to me and lacking a collar I grabbed the loose folds on the back of her neck. It was about that same time that she saw the bunny and pulled a bit. I wonder if the chip they implanted for electronic tracking pinched a nerve, because I didn’t grip her very tightly but she began yowling and screeching in pain, her eyes dilated in fear and she lay immediately at my feet looking up at me in terror. The most heartbreaking thing.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry,” I tell her as I’m tearing up. She’ll spend several hours huddled in a corner of the sofa, eye’s dilated, body stiff and afraid, wary of me. It will take pepperoni and other treats to coax her out of her sense of betrayal, fear and injustice.

The bunny runs toward us, stands in front of us, eyes the open door that our bodies are now blocking and then turns and runs for the gate, slips under with ease, alludes the sinister stranger’s grip and the dark figures of two men, as mysteriously as they appeared, disappear – running at break neck speed down the street under the light of a full moon, chasing a big white bunny.

No comments: