16 June 2005

A Happy Cell

It’s raining. It’s June and it’s raining. How weird is that!? The first two years here the rains stopped in May and we didn’t see a drop again until November. Last year there were sprinkles one day in July. But today, well, this is a real rain and it’s supposed to continue for the next day or two. It feels like one of those surrealistic moments when someone says, oh yeah, when pigs fly! and you find yourself ducking as hoofs nearly scrape the top of your head in a rush of wind. There was a tsunami warning yesterday. Okay.. so rain in June is just plain weird – but a tsunami warning!?! Like I say, watch your head.

A week off of work and while there has been progress made on the kitchen, it’s slow going. I’m in the throws of the first phase of spackling and then the sanding will recommence. We’re going on six months now and I have been determined that we’ll begin moving in this month. It’s been the plan all along that once the kitchen is done we’ll move in. The work in the bathroom is a longer-term effort and the mudroom can be done once we’re in. So it’s like we’re running and the camera is moving away, ahead of us, making it look like we’re staying in one place. (And suddenly I’m standing in the balcony at the back of the church, in front of a row of glass windows, and I stretch out my arms like a crucifix and begin rattling my fists against the glass in the middle of the ceremony. “Elaine!” I yell in anguish. “Elaine! Elaine!”)

No comments: