10 May 2002

Avacado Reprieve

Fantasy: I see some gluttonous sunburned white man wearing a straw hat and sunglasses, smoking a cigar with his young secretary, bleached blond in a Hawaiian print dress, neck adorned with lei’s, a broad brimmed hat and stylish sunglasses. An avocado rolls out from under the driver’s seat and rests neatly beneath the brake peddle. When he comes too quickly to a stop, loud Hawaiian music playing on the CD player (a little something he picked up at a gas station outside of Lihue), he feels a smush as he hits the pedal. What’s with the God Damned Avocado’s?!?!? He yells. She tenses up and purses her cherry-red lips.

We picked up a new rental car. For just a few dollars a day extra we got a snappy little convertible – vroom, vroom. We drove through Waimea Canyon all the way to Kalalau Lookout. I took pictures of the canyon and the Valley of the Lost Tribe along the Na Pali coast. There were roosters everywhere, but I don’t think my pictures of them are going to be that stellar. I think I’ll have a lot of blurry amber and blue feather with a chicken foot leaving the scene. I chased one around the parking lot for about a half hour at the Kalalau Lookout. Ed nearly wet himself laughing. I do not run like a rooster.

No comments: